Debt Collector Harassment and Abuse
There are lots of do’s and don’ts for debt collectors under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and other laws.
Obviously, debt collectors aren’t allowed to keep trying to collect debts from you that you don’t owe. But even if you really owe the debt, it doesn’t mean that anything goes. They still have to treat you fairly and play by the rules.
Common debt collector abuses that we see include:
- Trying to collect interest, fees, and other charges above and beyond what is allowed
- Trying to collect from the wrong person
- Reporting credit information that is known or should be known to be false
- Failing to inform the consumer of the amount of the debt or the name of the original creditor
- Telephone harassment
- Continuing to contact a consumer after the consumer has told the debt collector in writing to stop
The also law prohibits lots of other kinds of debt collector misconduct. If you think a debt collector has treated you unfairly, contact us for a free consultation about your rights. If a debt collector has violated the law, we’ll go after them and make them pay.